Connect with us

Home

Babri Masjid demolition case: CBI Court acquitted all 32 accused in the Masjid demolition case.

Published

on

Reading out the 2,000-page order, CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav acquitted all 32 accused in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case. The court observed that the demolition was not pre-planned and evidences are not strong. While Sadhvi Ritambhara, Sakshi Maharaj, Vinay Katiyar and Champat Rai Bansal were present in court, three key accused BJP leaders skipped physical hearing, and attended through video-conferencing — Uma Bharti tested positive for coronavirus, LK Adavni and Murli Manohar Joshi have excused themselves on grounds of health and age.

If convicted, saffron veterans Advani, Joshi, Bharti, Katiyar, Ritambhara, Mahant Nritya Gopal Das, Bansal, Ram Vilas Vedanti, Dharmadas and Dr Satish Pradhan would face maximum imprisonment up to five years. A high alert has been sounded in Uttar Pradesh. While policemen in civil clothes will be on guard in Ayodhya, 2,000 cops will be deployed at the building that houses the “Ayodhya Prakaran Court” in the Old High Court building in Lucknow’s Kaiserbagh. A report stated that Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel have been stationed in 25 sensitive districts.

Here are top 5 quotes from the big verdict:

  • The Babri mosque demolition was not pre-planned
  • Not enough evidence against the accused
  • Can’t prove authenticity of audio, video provided by CBI
  • Anti-social elements tried to demolish the structure, accused leaders tried to stop them
  • The audio of the speech is not clear

The date was fixed on the direction of the Supreme Court that had asked for the judgment to be delivered by September 30. The Babri Masjid was demolished in December 1992 by “kar sevaks” who claimed that the mosque in Ayodhya was built on the site of an ancient Ram temple. The land dispute over the site was settled last year by the Supreme Court, which allowed the construction of a Ram temple. The court also directed that an alternative site should be allotted in Ayodhya for the construction of a mosque. The ground-breaking ceremony for the temple took place on August 5 with Prime Minister Narendra Modi participating in a bhoomi pujan.

A day ahead of the verdict, BJP leader Uma Bharti said in a letter to party president JP Nadda that she would prefer to be “hanged” rather than seek bail. A report in The Print said Bharti wrote the letter to Nadda on September 26, the day she was dropped from the list of national office-bearers of the party in a dramatic reshuffle. Expressing pride in her participation in the “Ayodhya movement”, Bharti said seeking bail would “tarnish the dignity” of her role. “I do not know what the Ayodhya judgement will be on 30 September but I will not seek bail… I am proud of my participation in the Ayodhya movement. I have always said that even if I have to hang for being part of the Ayodhya movement, then that’s acceptable to me… Taking the bail will tarnish the dignity of my participation in the movement.” Bharti is currently admitted at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Rishikesh after testing positive for Covid-19. Her condition is said to be stable. While Bharti will not be present in court for the hearing, it is not yet clear whether she would appear via video conferencing.

The trial under the serious criminal conspiracy charges commenced against them after having been dropped by the trial court in 2001. The verdict was upheld by the Allahabad High Court in 2010, but the apex court ordered restoration of the conspiracy charge against them on April 19, 2017. The top court ordered daily hearing in the high profile case and directed the special judge to conclude it in two years.

The conspiracy charge is in addition to the existing charges against them for promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion for which they are already facing trial. The other charges against them include indulging in “deliberate and malicious” acts intended to outrage religious feelings, uttering statements leading to public mischief, rioting and unlawful assembly.

The CBI argued that the accused conspired and instigated ‘kar sevaks’ to demolish the 16th century mosque. But the accused pleaded innocence maintaining that there is no evidence to prove their guilt and claimed they were implicated by the then Congress government at the Centre as a political vendetta.

Unlike the title dispute case in the matter that saw final judgment being delivered by the Supreme Court in November 2019, the demolition case still can have a long way to go. After almost three decades it’s the first court in our legal system that is set to give the verdict. Deepening upon the ruling, parties concerned will clearly have a right to challenge the verdict in the higher courts of our country.

Despite the delay, it has been an exhausting trial in which more than 350 witnesses recorded their statements and CBI filled a consolidated charge sheet in 49 related cases. The case that initially had 49 accused, now has only 32 of them alive.

Business

For Tiwan & Korean firms Uttar Pradesh emerging as favoured investment hotspot.

Published

on

As foreign firms expressed intent to invest in UP in a big way, Yogi govt has decided to bring out ‘UP Electronic Manufacturing Policy – 2020’ in August 2020, which is aimed at developing the Electronics sector in all parts of the state.

In a significant milestone for Yogi govt, Electronics Manufacturing Sector has achieved the five-year target in just 3 years by garnering an investment of Rs 20,000 and about 3 lakh employment generation. Many companies from China, Taiwan and Korea are making a beeline to invest in the Electronics sector in Uttar Pradesh and some of those have already arrived in a big way. Recently, Samsung relocated its plant in India from China.

Under the stewardship of Yogi Adityanath, Uttar Pradesh is fast emerging as hotspot destination for multi-national companies mainly from China, Taiwan and Korea. Electronics Manufacturing sector is drawing maximum investment as many firms have shown keen interest in setting up their bases in the state.

”The target of Rs 20,000 crore of investment and employment of three lakh was set to achieve till 2022 but could be achieved two years in advance as as many as 30 investors were attracted by the policies of the government to invest in Electronics sector in the state till 2020,” Industrial Infrastructure and Industrial Development Commissioner (IIDC) Alok Tandon said.

He said, “the new ambience developed by the state government has resulted in Noida, Greater Noida and Yamuna Expressway area has a well-distinguished Electronics manufacturing hub where many units are coming up. We are receiving intents from several companies regularly as the Electronics Sector is beaming with the activities in the times to come.”

An Electronic Manufacturing Cluster (EMC), designated as TEGNA cluster, is also being set up in NCR where foreign companies like Oppo, 3 Indian companies and 4 Taiwanese companies are setting up their units with an expected investment of Rs 2000.

Buoyed by its success, Yogi government decided to bring out ‘UP Electronic Manufacturing Policy – 2020’ in August 2020, which aimed at developing the Electronics sector in all parts of the state. Uttar Pradesh government, in view of the successful investment scenario in the sector, has also upwardly revised the target to bring fresh investments of Rs 40,000 crore and further generate 4,00,000 employments in the next 5 years.

Under the 2020 policy, 3 Electronics Manufacturing Clusters – an Electronic City near Jewar Airport on Yamuna Expressway, Defense Electronics Manufacturing Cluster (DEMC) in Bundelkhand and a Medical Electronic Manufacturing Cluster in Lucknow-Unnao-Kanpur zone – have been proposed to be established.

Besides, in order to attract investors in establishing manufacturing industries in Bundelkhand and Purvanchal region, various financial incentives have been envisaged in the new policy.

Continue Reading

Trending