Connect with us

Feature

Jasprit Bumrah injured, Umesh Yadav to play 3-Test series vs South Africa

Published

on

New Delhi: Jasprit Bumrah, India’s premier fast bowler, was ruled out on Tuesday from the upcoming three-match Test series against South Africa due to a minor stress fracture in his lower back. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced Umesh Yadav as Jasprit Bumrah’s replacement for the Test series.

“Team India fast bowler Mr. Jasprit Bumrah has sustained a minor stress fracture in his lower back and has been ruled out of the upcoming PayTm Freedom Series for Gandhi-Mandela Trophy against South Africa,” The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said in a statement.

Jasprit Bumrah will now have to undergo a rehabilitation programme at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru, the statement further revealed.

“The injury was detected during a routine radiological screening. He will now undergo rehabilitation at NCA and will be monitored by the BCCI Medical Team. The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named Umesh Yadav as Bumrah’s replacement,” the BCCI said in a release.

Jasprit Bumrah took to Twitter on Wednesday to post a message for fans, thanking them for recovery wishes. “Injuries are part & parcel of the sport. Thank you for all your recovery wishes. My head is held high & I am aiming for a comeback that’s stronger than the setback,” Jasprit Bumrah tweeted.

In the Test series against the West Indies, which was his last assignment, Bumrah emerged as the wrecker-in-chief for India with 13 wickets in two Tests.

The 25-year-old became the fastest Indian pacer to take 50 wickets in Tests during the course of that assignment last month. He achieved the feat during the second Test against the Caribbean side.

Bumrah reached the milestone in 11 matches, going past Venkatesh Prasad and Mohammed Shami, who took 13 matches each to touch the mark.

Business

Without a China trade deal, the U.S. will hike tariffs

Published

on

By

Washington: U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he would raise tariffs on imports of Chinese goods if no trade deal is reached with Beijing to end a tit-for-tat trade war that has roiled markets and damaged growth worldwide.

“China is going to have to make a deal that I like. If they don’t, that’s it,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday. “If we don’t make a deal with China, I’ll just raise the tariffs even higher.”

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was more measured in his comments, saying that the White House remains “optimistic” that an agreement can be reached.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Monday that he still expects a deal to be reached, but he also anticipated an additional 15 per cent tariff to be placed on about US$156 billion of Chinese imports on December 15 if there is no agreement.

“I have every expectation if there’s not a deal, those tariffs would go in place. But I expect we’ll have a deal,” Mnuchin

Predictions of a resolution have come and gone repeatedly as Trump veers from hints of imminent deals to declaring his satisfaction with the current standoff, because the United States is pulling in billions of dollars in trade tariffs.

Continue Reading

Trending