Connect with us

Business

Tata Motors to drive in Nexon EV in March

Published

on

Tata Motors has announced that the all-electric Nexon will be launched in India by Q4 FY 2019-2020 (January-March, 2020). The model will be the first Tata EV to be powered by the brand’s Ziptron technology, which had been unveiled last month. While Tata has not revealed many details of the Nexon EV as yet, the company is targeting a range of about 300km, and its pricing is expected to be in the Rs 15-17 lakh range.

It will source power from advanced lithium-ion cells which will give a drive range of about 300 kms on a single charge. The battery pack will also be liquid cooled and will be packed in a solid IP67 case which provides high strength outer shell to protect critical electric vehicle components.

Currently, in India, the only fully-electric SUV is the Hyundai Kona EV. The Kona is priced at Rs 24 lakh and is to be sold in limited numbers and states. However, Hyundai said that the alloted numbers have already been accounted for. The government subsidies have played an important part in this. At present, Tata’s Tigor EV is priced around the Rs 10 lakh mark. It will be interesting to see whether buyers line up for the new Nexon EV or not, especially given the higher price point.

Speaking on the occasion, Shailesh Chandra, President, Electric Mobility Business and Corporate Strategy, Tata Motors, said, “We are proud to announce that Nexon EV will be available for personal buyers in India from Q4 (Jan-Mar) FY19-20. Powered by the cutting-edge Ziptron technology, Nexon EV promises to address the barriers that exist in the EV market today and will deliver thrilling on-road performance, ensuring zero-emission. We are also excited to have the famous celebrity couple, Milind Soman and Ankita Konwar on board to share their experience with the EV enthusiasts. We are confident that the new Nexon EV will further raise the bar for electric cars, making EVs an aspirational choice for consumers.”

Business

Without a China trade deal, the U.S. will hike tariffs

Published

on

By

Washington: U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he would raise tariffs on imports of Chinese goods if no trade deal is reached with Beijing to end a tit-for-tat trade war that has roiled markets and damaged growth worldwide.

“China is going to have to make a deal that I like. If they don’t, that’s it,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday. “If we don’t make a deal with China, I’ll just raise the tariffs even higher.”

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was more measured in his comments, saying that the White House remains “optimistic” that an agreement can be reached.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Monday that he still expects a deal to be reached, but he also anticipated an additional 15 per cent tariff to be placed on about US$156 billion of Chinese imports on December 15 if there is no agreement.

“I have every expectation if there’s not a deal, those tariffs would go in place. But I expect we’ll have a deal,” Mnuchin

Predictions of a resolution have come and gone repeatedly as Trump veers from hints of imminent deals to declaring his satisfaction with the current standoff, because the United States is pulling in billions of dollars in trade tariffs.

Continue Reading

Trending