Connect with us

National

Center tells Supreme Court in plea against Sudarshan TV case,Regulate digital media first before TV or Electronic media.

Published

on

The Center has urged the Supreme Court to confine the matter regarding a Sudarshan News show, which claimed to “expose” the “infiltration of Muslims” in the civil services, to the channel and not lay down “any further guidelines” for the rest of the mainstream media.

In an affidavit filed in court, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said the issue of “balancing between the journalist freedom and responsible journalism is a field already occupied either by the statutory provisions made by Parliament or by the judgments” of the court.

The government said that “in view of the issue having already received attention of Parliament, as well as of this Hon’ble Court, the present petition be confined to only one channel namely Sudarshan TV, and this Hon’ble Court may not undertake the exercise of laying down any further guidelines with or without appointment of an Amicus or a Committee of persons as Amicus”.

It submitted that “the fact situation in each case shall have to be decided on a case to case basis and a broader exercise which is too general in nature is neither warranted nor permissible”.

The Center added that “if the court decides to undertake the exercise, it should first be undertaken with regard to digital media as there already exists sufficient framework and judicial pronouncements with regard to electronic media and print media”.

A three-judge bench of the apex court had on September 15 restrained Sudarshan News from airing the remaining episodes of its show. While doing so, the SC had hinted that it planned to set up a panel to suggest guidelines for the electronic media.

Presenting its views on the matter, the government said “even if the court considers it appropriate to undertake the said exercise, there is no justification to confine this exercise only to mainstream electronic media”.

The media, it pointed out, “includes mainstream electronic media, mainstream print media as well as a parallel media namely digital print media and digital web-based news portal and you tube channels as well as ‘Over The Top’ platforms [OTTs]”.

It said that “while in a mainstream media [whether electronic or print], the publication/telecast is a one-time act, the digital media has faster reach from wider range of viewership/readership and has the potential to become viral because of several electronic applications like WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook”.

Bollywood

NCB files charge sheets in drugs case, 33 accused including Rhea Chakraborty

Published

on

Google

The Narcotics Control Bureau is going to file a charge sheet in the special NDPS court on Friday in the drugs case which came to light during the investigation of the demise of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput. The charge sheet contains more than 12 thousand pages, with the names of several paddlers and witnesses. 33 accused including Riya Chakraborty have been made in the charge sheet. His girlfriend Riya Chakraborty and her brother Shouvik Chakraborty, who were his girlfriends in the last days of Sushant, are also accused in the drug case. Both are currently on bail after being in jail for several days.

On June 14 last year, Sushant Singh Rajput’s dead body was found at his Bandra residence. CBI investigation is underway for Sushant’s death. At the same time, the Enforcement Directorate has investigated the allegations of financial misappropriation in Sushant’s accounts. In this sequence, the drug connection was revealed through WhatsApp chats, which was followed by the entry of the Narcotics Control Bureau. NCB arrested Riya Chakraborty, Bhai Shouvik Chakraborty, Dipesh Sawant and Samuel Miranda in this case. However, all have been granted bail. Riya got bail from the Bombay High Court after spending almost a month in jail. Riya is also the headmistress of the Sushant Death case, which is being investigated by the CBI.

NCB director Sameer Wankhede is going to file a charge sheet in the NDPS court. The NCB charge sheet named 33 people, one of whom is Riya. At the same time, the names of 200 witnesses are there. There are more than 12 thousand pages in the charge sheet, while there are around 50 thousand digital pages. Many drug peddlers and other names are also on the charge sheet. The drugs case was filed in August last year. After this, the NCB started a thorough investigation, with the arrest of the drug peddlers, the names of several celebrities were also called, which the NCB called for questioning from time to time. Deepika Padukone, Shraddha Kapoor, Rakul Preet Singh and Sara Ali Khan were interrogated by the NCB. The two were also questioned by the NCB following the arrest of Arjun Rampal and his live-in partner Gabriela Dimitriades’s brother.

Continue Reading

Trending