Connect with us

Feature

Vijender looking forward to title fight at home

Published

on

vijendraBolton (England):Indian boxing sensation Vijender Singh, who has registered his sixth consecutive win in the professional arena, asserted that he is looking forward to the World Boxing Organisation’s (WBO) Asia title in front of his home crowd next month.

The London Olympics bronze medalist hammerred Andrzej Soldra of Poland by technical knockout in three brutal rounds in a Super Middleweight contest at the Macron Stadium here on Friday evening. The Bhiwani lad will now fight for the WBO Asia title in New Delhi on June 11.

“I am thrilled to get my sixth professional victory and excited for my homecoming title fight. Soldra was a good opponent but my punches replied to him. I think this fight was a horror show for him. I am happy that before my title fight, I am able to have six knockout wins,” Vijender said after the fight.

“The support I have received from everyone here in Britain and back home in India has been absolutely phenomenal. Now I will start preparing for my title fight in India. I am happy I will fight in front of my home crowd soon,” he added.

Soldra is the most experienced opponent Vijender has faced so far, winning 12 of the 17 bouts he has fought so far. Five those wins have come by knockout.

It was also the first eight-round contest of Vijender’s professional career, but he was at the top of his game against the 30-year old Pole.

“By winning first eight round fight, my confidence level has really gone up and this is a step forward heading towards title fight,” he said.

Vijender’s trainer Lee Beard was overjoyed with his ward’s performance.

“He is a true talent of professional boxing. I am happy with his performance so far and he will go long way. He is very hard working boxer,” Beard said.

Feature

Gulam Bodi sentenced to five years in prison

Published

on

By

Former Proteas batsman Gulam Body has been sentenced to five years in prison for his role in a match-fixing scandal, which rocked South African cricket in 2015.

The 40-year-old had pleaded guilty to eight counts of corruption in 2018, admitting to being a link between players – mostly his teammates at the Lions – and bookies during the 2015 Ram Slam T20 competition.

Bodi, who played two ODIs and one T20I, was charged under the Act after being banned by Cricket South Arica for 20 years for his role in the 2015 Ram Slam T20 scandal. The CSA, however, said none of the fixtures were affected by fixing after the plans to fix matches were foiled.

He was initially banned from all cricket-related activities for 20 years, while the other players involved – Jean Symes, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Pumelela Matshikwe, Ethy Mbhalati and Thami Tsolekile – also received suspensions which effectively ended their playing careers.

According to reports, the 40-year-old pleaded guilty to eight counts of corruption relating to sporting activities, and begged the court for mercy after he was told he could be jailed for as many as 15 years. The sentencing was delayed on several occasions – at one point because his lawyer withdrew from the case due to Bodi’s lack of funds.

The report further said that according to court documents, Bodi had been approached by Indian “bookmakers” as early as 2014.

Bodi’s prison sentence is the highest sanction received by a South African sports personality in relation with match-fixing.

His scandal followed some 15 years after the high-profile one involving late former Proteas captain, Hansie Cronje, who was handed a life-long ban for his actions, but escaped criminal prosecution.

Continue Reading

Trending