Connect with us

Health

CSK versus DC game might be at risk as 8 grounds staff test corona positive at Wankhede Stadium

Published

on

The surge in COVID-19 cases all over India might have a significant say in the upcoming season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) as the lucrative league returns home this year after being shifted to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) last year as eight groundsmen have tested positive at the Mumbai’s iconic Wankhede Stadium, just one week before the first game at the venue.

According to a report in The Hindu, 19 members of the ground staff had undergone the RT-PCR test for the coronavirus. While three of them returned positive last Friday, March 26, and five more returned with a positive result in the tests conducted on April 1.

The state of Maharashtra is experiencing the highest rise in Covid-19 cases across the country as it reported around 47,827 cases and 202 deaths on Friday. Out of which, Mumbai registered its highest-ever single day spike of 8,832 new cases. It was the second day in a row that Mumbai recorded more than 8,500 cases.

The development has certainly put the IPL games in the city in jeopardy, with the first game set to kick-off in Mumbai on April 10 between the last year’s runners-up Delhi Capitals and Chennai Super Kings. The Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai is set to host 10 matches of the league stage till April 25. With cases increasing at a rapid pace in the country and especially in Mumbai, the IPL is certainly has become vulnerable to the coronavirus pandemic with the groundsmen – part of the bio-bubble – testing positive.

The 14th Edition of the league takes off in Chennai with the defending champions Mumbai Indians taking on the Virat Kohli-led Royal Challengers Bangalore on April 9.

Corona

“Uttar Pradesh is prepared for the next wave of Covid-19”: CM Yogi Adityanath

Published

on

Asserting that his government is prepared for the next wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said the monitoring committees have become active amid reports that the third wave will affect the children more.

Adityanath said the monitoring committees have begun dividing the children into four age groups, adding the vaccination of adults has also been intensified. The Chief Minister claimed that Covid-19 was curtailed in the state earlier in September last year.

“Deepotsav was organized in Ayodhya in October last year. We kept on asking the people to maintain a distance of two meters and wear masks. In Uttar Pradesh, only 85 cases were reported one day. But we kept on increasing the testing,” he said during an interaction with Indian Express.

Adityanath had earlier this month flagged off a distribution drive of medicine kits to children below the age of 18 years.

Asserting that a good prevention system is a crucial weapon, the Chief Minister then said that the children below 18 years of age have been divided into four categories — 0-1 years, 1-5 years, 5-12 years, and 12-18 years — adding different medicines have been prepared for each category.

The monitoring committees have been asked to visit villages and carry out door-to-door surveys to identify children and others with Covid symptoms.

Continue Reading
Advertisement Live Uttar Pradesh

Trending