Connect with us

National

‘Indispensible’ Dhoni missing from BCCI 2019-20 contract list

Published

on

Mumbai: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Thursday announced the mens contract for 2019-20 and the major omission was former skipper M.S. Dhoni.

India skipper Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah and Rohit Sharma were named in the ‘A+’ grade, which means they will pocket Rs 7 crore each.

The other categories are ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ and will see players pocket Rs 5 crore, Rs 3 crore and Rs 1 crore, respectively.

According to a BCCI statement, the period from October 2019 to September 2020 has Kohli, Rohit and Bumrah in the Grade A+ category like the last cycle. However, Dhoni, who was in the Rs 5 crore ‘A’ category bracket, is missing.

The 38-year-old has been on a break from the game since India’s World Cup semifinal loss to New Zealand last year.

Speaking to IANS, India head coach Ravi Shastri had said that they will wait till the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 to take a call on Dhoni.

Meanwhile, Rishabh Pant has kept his place in the grade ‘A’ bracket, despite his inconsistent performances.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who has been injured for long spells and is currently continuing his rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru after a successful sports hernia surgery, is also in the same bracket.

K.L. Rahul has also found place in the Rs 5 crore bracket owing to his stellar performances in white-ball cricket.

The other players in the grade ‘A’ bracket are Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Shikhar Dhawan, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma and Kuldeep Yadav.

Hardik Pandya, who is also out injured and is on his road to recovery, kept his place in the Rs 3 crore grade ‘B’ category. Fast bowler Umesh Yadav, wicket-keeper Wriddhiman Saha and spinner Yuzvendra Chahal are other two in the ‘B’ category where Test opener Mayank Agarwal is also present.

Category ‘C’ includes Kedar Jadhav, Navdeep Saini, Shreyas Iyer, Washington Sundar, Deepak Chahar, Hanuma Vihari, Kedar Jadhav, and Shardul Thakur.

National

Nirbhaya convicts to be hanged on March 3 at 6 a.m.

Published

on

By

New Delhi: The four death-row convicts in the Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case will now be hanged on March 3 at 6 a.m., a local court announced here on Monday.

Additional Sessions Judge Dharmendra Rana pronounced the order on a petition seeking issuance of fresh date for the execution of death warrants in the case pertaining to the gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old woman in the national capital in December 2012.

Expressing satisfaction over the latest court order, Nirbhaya’s mother said, “I’m satisfied and happy. I hope the convicts will finally be hanged on March 3,” Asha Devi told mediapersons.

The case pertains to the gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old girl in the national capital in December 2012.

On January 31, a trial court had stayed “till further order” the execution of the four convicts — Mukesh Kumar Singh (32), Pawan Gupta (25), Vinay Kumar Sharma (26) and Akshay Kumar (31).

Of the four convicts, Pawan has not yet availed the remedy of either curative petition or mercy plea.

Continue Reading

Trending