Connect with us

National

Unnao rape-murder: Chargesheet filed an year after gangrape

Published

on

Lucknow: Three days after the demise of the Unnao rape victim who was set ablaze by the accused, the charge sheet in the case was field.

Rae Bareli Superintendent of Police Swapnil Mamgain said that the charge sheet was submitted at the Rae Bareli court on Monday indicting Shivam and Shubham of the crime.

“The case will be fast tracked and trial will be done in Rae Bareli only,” he added.

Police claim the charge sheet is backed by electronic evidence, including location of mobile phones and physical presence, which has been testified by several people.

The victim had claimed that she was gang raped in December, 2018, and an FIR was booked in March at the Lalganj police station in Rae Bareli.

On December 5, the victim was on her way to Rae Bareli for the court hearing when she was set ablaze in her village.

In the charge sheet filed on Monday, both named accused, Shivam and Shubham, have been charged with rape, destruction of evidence and criminal intimidation.

The section 302 of Indian Penal Code related to murder was also included in the charge sheet as the victim has succumbed to her injuries.

The two were among five accused who had set the rape victim ablaze in Unnao. All have been arrested and sent to jail.

A year back, Shivam had taken the girl to Rae Bareli on pretext of marriage and raped her. The charge sheet stated that Shivam also rented a house there and introduced her to the landlord as his wife.

It further stated that threats were issued to the victim’s family after they mounted pressure on Shivam to marry the girl.

When Shivam and his family refused, the complainant left Unnao and began living with her aunt in Lalganj to escape embarrassment.

During course of investigation, Singh said many statements of the accused were found to be false and documents tampered that were submitted in court.

Entertainment

What’s the status of Sushant probe? Maha minister asks CBI

Published

on

By

Sushant Singh Rajput

Claiming that the probe into the death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput has gone silent, a Maharashtra minister on Monday sought answers from the Central Bureau of Investigation which is now handling the case.

State Home Minister Anil Deshmukh sought to know the status of the CBI probe, more than six weeks after it took up the investigation.

“You all know that the investigation into the Sushant death case was being done very professionally by the Maharashtra Police and Mumbai Police. But it was abruptly handed over to the CBI,” Deshmukh told media persons.

“We eagerly want to know… Even the people are now asking whether Sushant died by suicide or if he was murdered. We want the details of the CBI probe to come out,” Deshmukh told media persons.

Shortly after the minister’s statement, the CBI issued a statement on the issue from New Delhi.

“The CBI is conducting a professional investigation related to the death of Sushant Singh Rajput in which all aspects are being looked at and no aspect has been ruled out as of date. The investigations are continuing,” CBI spokesperson R.K. Gaur said.

While the CBI is conducting the overall probe focusing on the actor’s death, two other central agencies, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) and the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) are probing the financial and drugs angle that subsequently emerged.

While the CBI and the ED are yet to make any arrest in connection with their probe, the NCB seems to have made a head way by nabbing 20 persons so far. It is also interrogating several prominent Bollywood personalities such as Deepika Padukone, Sara Ali Khan and Shraddha Kapoor.

Those arrested include Bollywood actress Rhea Chakraborty, her brother Showik, and 18 other drug peddlers, suppliers, traders etc. Some are in NCB custody, a few in judicial custody and the rest out on bail.

Meanwhile, NCB Director-General Rakesh Asthana came to Mumbai on Sunday to review the investigations carried out for so far.

It may be recalled that the CBI had registered a case on August 6. A team of the probe agency visited Mumbai on August 20, after which it summoned several people in connection with the probe into Sushant’s death.

Sushant, 34, was found dead in his bedroom at his Bandra flat on June 14.

Continue Reading

Trending