Connect with us

National

Terror funding case: ED takes possession of 7 J&K properties

Published

on

New Delhi: Over three months after the Centre abrogated Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, the Enforcement Directorate took possession of seven properties attached in connection with its probe into a terror-funding case involving Hizb-u Mujahideen (HuM) chief Syed Salahuddin and others.

A senior ED official said all the seven properties were attached by the financial probe agency earlier in the case.

“But this is for the first time that we took possession of the properties in the Valley,” he said, adding “earlier we had to rely on other agencies to take possession”.

He said the said properties are located in Anantnag, Sopore and Bandipora.

The official said the seven properties were earlier provisionally attached. “After confirmation of the orders by the competent authority, ED officials visited the places and put up notices declaring the agency has taken over physical possession of the parcels of land,” he said.

According to senior ED officials, the Central probe agency has issued orders for attachment of 13 properties belonging to Mohammad Shafi Shah and six others of the HuM under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.

“The action was taken on the basis of a chargesheet filed by the National Investigation Agency against them,” he said.

He said it became possible to take possession only after Article 370 was abrogated.

The Central government had abrogated Article 370 of the Constitution granting special status to Jammu and Kashmir on August 5.

According to the National Investigation Agency and ED, the HuM had been raising money through the Jammu and Kashmir Affectees Relief Trust in collusion with Pakistan-based entities to fund terror activities in the Valley.

The ED alleged the funds were sent to India through the ‘hawala’ channel, barter trade and human carriers and also distributed among the kin of terrorists, dead or alive.

The alleged mastermind behind the distribution of funds was identified as Shah. He along with other accused persons, Talib Lali, Muzaffar Ahmad Dar and Mushtaq Ahmad Lone, are currently lodged in Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

National

Ajit Doval pats Yogi govt’s back for handling Ayodhya verdict

Published

on

By

Lucknow: National Security advisor Ajit Doval has sent a letter of appreciation to Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary R.K. Tiwari for his “commendable effort in handling the situation in Uttar Pradesh, following the Ayodhya verdict”.

The letter dated November 28, was released to the media on Wednesday.

Doval, in his letter, has appreciated the pivotal role played by the chief secretary in maintaining synergy with all organs of the state and central government and ensuring coordination with the police in maintaining peace and communal harmony.

He further said that it was the cumulative efforts of all agencies and organs of the government that resulted in an incident-free and amicable atmosphere in the state.

The verdict on Ayodhya was delivered on November 9, giving the disputed plot of land to Hindus for construction of a grand Ram temple and the Muslim side was to be given an alternative five acre plot for building a mosque.

Doval himself convened an inter-faith meeting to build confidence within communities where all the representatives of all the religions were called.

A group of 40 historians, academics and activists has since the November 9 judgement moved the Supreme Court seeking a full-bench review of its final verdict.

“The faith of one of the communities was consequently regarded higher than the other, thereby violating the secular principle embedded in the Constitution,” said the petitioners.

The review petition urged the apex court to institute a full bench for hearing the review petition, as this is not merely a title dispute but “a contestation about the core of India’s constitutional morality, and the principles of equal citizenship, secularism, justice, rule of law and fraternity”.

The petition contended that the balance of probabilities was erroneously observed to be in favour of the Hindu parties by the apex court.

The petition said the top court erred in coming to a conclusion based on the fact that Hindus had proved to be worshipping in the outer courtyard since 1857, but also proved to worship in the inner courtyard prior to 1857, and the Muslim parties failed to prove exclusive possession of the inner courtyard.

Continue Reading

Trending