Connect with us

National

“Why only five years? We will rule Maharashtra for 25 years,” says Sanjay Raut

Published

on

Mumbai: Sena MP Sanjay Raut here on Friday asserted that his party “will rule Maharashtra for 25 years”, a day after the Common Minimum Programme of the upcoming allies Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress was finalized.

In his media interaction, Raut was asked about the crucial Chief Minister’s post, to which he declared: “Why only five years? We will rule Maharashtra for 25 years…”

Taking a jibe at acting Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, Raut, however said his party would not proclaim, ”We will return, We will return, We will return”.

On the power-sharing formula being worked out with the Sena”s new allies, he said the Chief Minister will be from Shiv Sena, but the details of the CMP would be known soon.

Late on Thursday, after detailed discussions in a series of marathon meetings, the three prospective partners finalized their CMP, which has now been sent to the respective party high command of the Sena-NCP-Congress for approval.

According to unofficial indications, Sena would get the post of Chief Minister, but it is hazy whether it will be for half-term (30 months) or full term (five years), while NCP-Congress would get Deputy CM each, besides portfolios being shared at one per four legislators of each party.

NCP President Sharad Pawar will call on Sonia Gandhi later this week with the possibility of Sena President Uddhav Thackeray also going to meet her before a formal tie-up announcement is made from New Delhi on a priority this week or early next week, according to political sources.

A Congress leader said they would like to complete all formalities before November 18, when the Winter Session of Parliament begins, and also explore possibilities of the three prospective allies going to campaign for the Jharkhand Assembly elections after the government formation is completed in Maharashtra.

National

Interpol issues notice against fugitive godman Nithyananda

Published

on

By

New Delhi: The Interpol has issued a Blue Corner notice against fugitive self-styled godman Nithyananda, wanted in India for alleged rape and abduction, officials said on Wednesday.

Officials told IANS that the notice was issued much before on the request of Gujarat Police to locate the controversial godman. A Blue Corner notice makes it mandatory for member countries to share whereabouts of a person involved in a crime.

Nithyananda had allegedly fled India without a passport to save himself from a rape case registered against him in Karnataka.

The Ministry of External Affairs had last year cancelled Nithyananda’s passport, and also “sensitised” all its foreign missions and posts to keep track of his movements.

The MEA said Nithyananda had a passport issued in 2008 with a 10-year validity but it was cancelled before 2018. Nithyananda had applied for a fresh passport, but was denied police clearance.

Recently, Ecuador denied Nithyananda’s presence and said it had rejected his request for asylum.

Nithyananda’s real name is Rajashekharan and he is a native of Tamil Nadu. He opened an ashram near Bengaluru in the early 2000s. His teachings were said to be based on those of Osho Rajneesh.

In 2010 a video of him in a compromising position with an actress emerged online and he was later arrested on charges of rape. He was also arrested and charge-sheeted in a separate case of rape later.

According to reports, Nithyananda is now being investigated by French authorities for alleged fraud involving $4,00,000.

Last month, an FIR was registered against Nithyananda after two girls went missing from his ashram in Ahmedabad — Yogini Sarvagyapeetham. He was charged with kidnapping and wrongful confinement of children to make them collect donations from followers to run his ashram.

Continue Reading

Trending