Connect with us

Feature

Abhishek Nayar retires from first class cricket

Published

on

Mumbai: Indian all-rounder Abhishek Nayar has decided to call it quits from first-class cricket. The 36-year-old made his first-class debut back in 2005 against Tamil Nadu. He also got a chance to play under the leadership of MS Dhoni, but couldn’t impress selectors with his performances in the limited chances.

Nayar, who is regarded highly for helping out a lot of cricketers — including Dinesh Karthik and Rohit Sharma — now plans to focus on coaching. “That’s something I have been doing for a while and I want to focus on coaching assignments now,” Nayar, who is now associated with the Kolkata Knight Riders’ academy, said.

A left-handed batman and a seam bowler, Nayar was dropped during the 2017-18 season by Mumbai. He then moved to Puducherry last season and played four first-class games, and the highlight of the campaign was a five-for against Sikkim.

The 36-year-old all-rounder said he has no regret and his content with the career he has had. “At the end of the day, I’ve no regrets in my career, not even the fact that I couldn’t play my 100th FC game for Mumbai. After all, how many players get to play 99 games for Mumbai? I’m lucky that I played 99. Not playing that one game doesn’t change the way I look at the 99 games I played for Mumbai. I’m extremely happy and content with my career, and Mumbai cricket will always have a special place close to my heart. I know what it takes to be a part of that dressing room.”

Nayar had a career to be proud of, in which he scored 5749 runs in 103 matches at an average of 45.62, with 13 centuries and 32 fifties under his belt, and was one of Mumbai’s biggest cricketing names despite playing only three ODIs for India. His involvement with Dinesh Karthik and how that helped the latter make a comeback to the national team was one of the most celebrated stories to have come out of the Indian cricketing circuit in the last one year.

Feature

Trump knew exactly what was going on: Giuliani aide

Published

on

By

Washington: An aide to Rudy Giuliani, Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, has said that the US President “knew exactly what was going on” regarding efforts to pressure Ukraine into investigating Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his son, it was reported on Thursday.

Ukrainian-American businessman Lev Parnass, who is facing separate criminal charges, made the comments in an interview with MSNBC on Wednesday after letters, phone records, notes and flash drives were obtained from him earlier this week, the BBC said in a report.

Documents show that the Ukraine-born Parnas was in regular contact with Giuliani as well as Ukrainian officials, and suggests that the businessman was directly involved in trying to have Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky look into the Bidens.

In the interview, Parnas said Trump was “aware of all my movements”.

“I wouldn’t do anything without the consent of Rudy Giuliani or the President. Why would President Zelensky’s inner circle or (Interior) Minister (Arsen) Avakov or all these people or (former) President (Petro) Poroshenko meet with me?

“Who am I? They were told to meet with me. And that’s the secret that they’re trying to keep. I was on the ground doing their work,” he added.

Parnas further said that the President was lying and knew that unless there was an investigation into Joe Biden and his son Hunter, who was a director of a Ukrainian gas company, military aid to Kiev would be withheld.

He also claimed that the investigation was about digging up dirt on Joe Biden.

Meanwhile, some of the materials obtained show Parnas and Giuliani discussing the removal of Marie Yovanovitch, the then US ambassador to Ukraine, said the BBC report.

In Wednesday’s interview, Parnas claimed the only motivation to get Yovanovitch removed from her post was because she was in the way of the effort to get Ukraine to announce an investigation into Joe Biden.

Trump was impeached by the Democrat-controlled US House of Representatives on December 18, 2019 and is accused of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

The two articles of impeachment were sent to the Republican-majority Senate on Wednesday night, paving the way for the starting of a trial against the President.

Continue Reading

Trending