Connect with us

Business

Xiaomi will launch more than 10 5G smartphones in 2020

Published

on

Wuzhen, China: China has been one of the first countries in the world to embrace 5G, and now manufacturers and operators are working together to deliver the technology to the masses as soon as possible.

Speaking at the World Internet Conference on Sunday, Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun has announced that the company is planning to launch more than 10 5G smartphones by 2020.

The top mobile network carriers in China accepted more than 9.3 million subscriptions for 5G even before the network officially rolled out. China Mobile accepted 5.6 million subscriptions, China Telecom scored 1.9 million, and China Unicom “People in the industry fear that next year 4G models won’t sell, this is a step you have no choice but to take. So we hope that operators can speed up their expansion of 5G base stations.”

According to Taiwanese semiconductor manufacturer TSMC, the demand for 5G phones is expected to reach around 300 million by next year. Currently, 5G phones only make up 1% of the total population of smartphones, but this figure is expected to hit 10% in 2020 as manufacturers and network providers shift towards 5G.

Xiaomi CEO didn’t confirm the name of the 5G smartphones that the company plans to launch next year but it looks like the phones are already in the works. As noted earlier Xiaomi has launched two 5G phones this year — Mi MIX 3 5G and Mi 9 Pro 5G. The first one – Mi MIX 3 5G – is the 5G edition of the standard Mi MIX 3 that launched last year. While the Mi 9 Pro 5G is the 5G version of the Mi 9 Pro that launched beginning this year.

Business

Without a China trade deal, the U.S. will hike tariffs

Published

on

By

Washington: U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he would raise tariffs on imports of Chinese goods if no trade deal is reached with Beijing to end a tit-for-tat trade war that has roiled markets and damaged growth worldwide.

“China is going to have to make a deal that I like. If they don’t, that’s it,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday. “If we don’t make a deal with China, I’ll just raise the tariffs even higher.”

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was more measured in his comments, saying that the White House remains “optimistic” that an agreement can be reached.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Monday that he still expects a deal to be reached, but he also anticipated an additional 15 per cent tariff to be placed on about US$156 billion of Chinese imports on December 15 if there is no agreement.

“I have every expectation if there’s not a deal, those tariffs would go in place. But I expect we’ll have a deal,” Mnuchin

Predictions of a resolution have come and gone repeatedly as Trump veers from hints of imminent deals to declaring his satisfaction with the current standoff, because the United States is pulling in billions of dollars in trade tariffs.

Continue Reading

Trending