Connect with us

Feature

Death Toll climbs up to 72, 2.6 Lakh people moved to relief camps

Published

on

Kerala: A total of 72 people have lost their lives in Kerala till now due to flood. People are continuously moved to camps and 56 people have gone missing. The devastation is in no turn getting low. Around 2.6 Lakh people have to be moved to relief camps for food and shelter.

The highest number of casualties has been reported from Malappuram district, with 23 people dead. Seventeen people have lost their lives in Kozhikode and 12 in Wayanad district. In Malappuram’s Kavalappara, about 63 people including 20 children had gone missing in a massive landslide. According to Manorama report, two more people – including a child – were found dead at Kavalappara on Sunday, taking the total number of deaths in the landslide there to 11. Rescue works are still ongoing to find the missing 52 people.

The floods have created havoc in the city like last year and people are more terrified this time because they know how worse the situation can get worse. However army has been deployed and is working day and night to help people get out of the flood area A total of about 1,642 relief camps have been opened in the state according to latest figures, with 75,714 families in there.

India Meteorological Department has predicted no red warning (indicating to take necessary action) for Monday, while an orange warning (indicating to be alert and prepared) has been issued for six districts. These are Kasargode, Kannur, Wayanad, Kozhikode, Malappuram and Idukki.

Rahul Gandhi went to his flood-affected constituency of Wayanad and said that he has approached Prime Minister Narendra Modi and sought his help for the state. Wayanad has been one of the badly hit districts in the rains in Kerala, along with Malappuram and Kozhikode. A total of 12 deaths have been reported in Wayanad and around 37,075 people have been displaced and shifted to more than 210 relief camps.

Business

Zoom saw its popularity soaring in the last three months

Published

on

By

“We were humbled by the accelerated adoption of the Zoom platform around the globe in Q1. The COVID-19 crisis has driven higher demand for distributed, face-to-face interactions and collaboration using Zoom. Use cases have grown rapidly as people integrated Zoom into their work, learning, and personal lives,” said Eric S. Yuan, Founder and CEO of Zoom.

PHOTO-GOOGLE

While Zoom saw its popularity soaring in the last three months, governments and law enforcement agencies also sought clarification from the video meet app over data hoarding and cyber hoarding, along with issues of unauthorised access termed as “zoom-bombing”.

After the Supreme Court in India sought the response of the Central government over a petition seeking a ban on Zoom, the video calling app claimed that it “takes user privacy, security, and trust extremely seriously.”

“Zoom takes user privacy, security and trust extremely seriously. We have been focused on enhancing our commitment to security and privacy under our 90-day plan announced on April 1, and have made significant progress,” the company said in a statement.

“Our primary grants in Q1 were toward organisations making a difference during COVID-19,” said Yuan.

Zoom growth has led to several tech giants ramping up their video conferencing services like Microsoft Teams, Google Meet and Facebook Messenger Rooms, among others.

Zoom recently announced that it will expand its engineering team with up to 500 new headcount based in Phoenix, Arizona and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in the US.

Plasma therapy is a safe treatment option for coronavirus patients

 

Continue Reading

Trending