Connect with us

Feature

UP reels under blazing heat wave, massive power cuts

Published

on

Summer, Monsoon, Heat waves, Heat strokes, Winter, Autumn, Spring, Met, Uttar Pradesh, Regional news

Lucknow: Now days blazing heat wave across Uttar Pradesh state continues to be intolerable, with the rise in temperature around 45 degrees Celsius, said the weatherman on Monday with power cuts added to people’s woes with no signs of respite.

 

 

In past 24-hours, the mercury crossed 44 degrees Celsius at most places, with Banda being the hottest at 46.8 degrees Celsius, the Met official said.

The mercury climbed 2.7 degrees in the last one day, signaling the onset of a grueling summer and a scorching heat wave in the state.

 

 

Barring a brief period of gusty winds followed by a dust storm and hail at some places, weather has been very inclement, forcing changing of timing of many schools and early closure for summer breaks at others.

The Regional Met Office predicts a further rise in day temperatures, which are likely to cross 45 degrees Celsius at most places in the state, particularly in Bundelkhand and Poorvanchal.

 

 

With the rising mercury, it is likely that the past record of 46.5 degrees average temperature in the month of May (set in 1995) might be shattered soon, the Met office said.

On the other hand power outages in many places are also leading to additional woes in many towns and cities.

The state government and the Power Minister Shrikant Sharma have been claiming 24×7 power supply in the state’s cities and 18 hours in smaller towns.

But the power cuts in most places are extending for more than four-five hours.

 

 

Angry residents here in Telibagh and Southcity areas barged into a substation late on Sunday night to protest long duration of unscheduled power cuts.

In Hariharnagar too, the power cuts have increased and so is the case in Indiranagar, Aliganj. Power cuts here last close to six hours on an average and power supply officials blame it on overloading, local faults.

 

 

Ashutosh Kumar, chief engineer of Lucknow Electricity Supply Administration (Lesa) informed that the power demand has peaked by 25 per cent in the last few days. He, however, assured that the supply would be normalized soon.

 

Feature

Gulam Bodi sentenced to five years in prison

Published

on

By

Former Proteas batsman Gulam Body has been sentenced to five years in prison for his role in a match-fixing scandal, which rocked South African cricket in 2015.

The 40-year-old had pleaded guilty to eight counts of corruption in 2018, admitting to being a link between players – mostly his teammates at the Lions – and bookies during the 2015 Ram Slam T20 competition.

Bodi, who played two ODIs and one T20I, was charged under the Act after being banned by Cricket South Arica for 20 years for his role in the 2015 Ram Slam T20 scandal. The CSA, however, said none of the fixtures were affected by fixing after the plans to fix matches were foiled.

He was initially banned from all cricket-related activities for 20 years, while the other players involved – Jean Symes, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Pumelela Matshikwe, Ethy Mbhalati and Thami Tsolekile – also received suspensions which effectively ended their playing careers.

According to reports, the 40-year-old pleaded guilty to eight counts of corruption relating to sporting activities, and begged the court for mercy after he was told he could be jailed for as many as 15 years. The sentencing was delayed on several occasions – at one point because his lawyer withdrew from the case due to Bodi’s lack of funds.

The report further said that according to court documents, Bodi had been approached by Indian “bookmakers” as early as 2014.

Bodi’s prison sentence is the highest sanction received by a South African sports personality in relation with match-fixing.

His scandal followed some 15 years after the high-profile one involving late former Proteas captain, Hansie Cronje, who was handed a life-long ban for his actions, but escaped criminal prosecution.

Continue Reading

Trending