Connect with us

World

White House urged to investigate Trump adviser

Published

on

whiteWashington: The US Office of Government Ethics (OGE) has called on the White House to investigate presidential adviser Kellyanne Conway for advertising on television the clothing brand belonging to President Donald Trump’s daughter, Ivanka Trump.In a letter addressed to White House Deputy Counsel Stefan Passantino on Tuesday, OGE Director Walter Shaub said Conway’s comments were in “clear violation” of rules against the misuse of an official position.

“There is strong reason to believe that Conway has violated the Standards of Conduct and that disciplinary action is warranted,” Shaub wrote in a letter, Time magazine reported.”I note that OGE’s regulation on misuse of position offers as an example the hypothetical case of a Presidential appointee appearing in a television commercial to promote a product. Ms Conway’s actions track that example almost exactly. Therefore, I recommend that the White House investigate Conway’s actions,” Shaub added.

Two weeks ago, US luxury department store chain Nordstrom withdrew Ivanka’s line of clothing from its stores over a drop in sales in recent months, a move interpreted by Trump as a personal attack.During an interview with Fox News last week, Conway gave a “free commercial” for the Ivanka Trump brand, according to the adviser herself.”Go buy Ivanka’s stuff. It’s a wonderful line. I own some of it,” Conway said.Conway’s comments substantially sparked a controversy in the country, and the chairman of the US House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Republican Jason Chaffetz, and the highest-ranking Democrat of the body, Elijah Cummings, requested the OGE to review the case.Asked about Conway’s comments, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said she had been “counselled on that subject — and that’s it”.

 

 

Top News

Weddings in China postponed amid coronavirus outbreak

Published

on

By

Beijing: The revenue of China”s wedding industry has declined since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus as many couples were forced to postpone their weddings during Chinese Spring Festival.

According to a Global Times report, industry analysts and business sources said that foreign marriage companies that conducted and managed the marriage of Chinese couples in Indonesia”s Bali, Japan”s Okinawa and in the Maldives have reported huge losses.

“We have postponed our wedding ceremony, which was to be held in Bali in early March,” Zhou, a bride in Beijing, told Global Times. We have taken this decision to avoid crowds attending the event like marriage due to health reasons.”

Lisa Wang, an employee of a wedding planning firm in Beijing, said: “My clients planned to hold a wedding ceremony in Bali in February. But they have postponed these programmes till the second half of this year due to concerns about the virus epidemic. ”

Last week, Indonesia banned flights to and from China to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Wang said that since the beginning of February, his work has been negatively affected. He said he has not received any new contracts for local wedding shows and photography in Bali, Okinawa and South Korea”s Jeju Island from late January to mid-February.

Another employee in Seoul, the capital of South Korea, said: “In the past years, we received more than 20 orders from Chinese couples in January for wedding photos in our studio, but this year we have not received any order.”

The South Korean employee also said that the studio”s revenue from Chinese customers has increased in recent years, but they are suffering a lot of losses earlier this year.

Continue Reading

Trending