Active, middle-aged men who can complete more than 40 push-ups at a time had a significantly lower risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) outcomes compared to those who did less than 10 push-ups, says a new study.
The study, published in JAMA Network Open, showed that men who are able to do more than 40 push-ups had a 96 per cent reduced risk of CVD events compared with those who were able to do less than 10 push-ups.
In addition, push-up capacity was more strongly associated with lower incidence of cardiovascular disease events than was aerobic capacity as estimated by a submaximal treadmill exercise test.
For the study, the researchers from Harvard University analysed health data from 1,104 active male firefighters whose mean age was 39.6.
During the 10-year study period, 37 CVD-related outcomes were reported.
“Our findings provide evidence that push-up capacity could be an easy, no-cost method to help assess cardiovascular disease risk in almost any setting,” said lead author Justin Yang at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in the US.
The results are not generalisable to women, men of other ages or who are less active, the researchers noted.
Holi colours can damage your skin, hair; here are some tips to take care!
New Delhi: Holi colours can damage your skin and leave your hair lifeless for days. Use a good moisturizing face wash on your face after playing Holi and apply a clarifying shampoo to rinse colour from hair, say experts.
Aneesh Sheth’s CEO, Dr Sheth’s and Madhavi Irani, Chief Officer, Content, Nykaa.com, an online all brand make-up store — have listed out ways to take care of your hair and skin after playing Holi.
* Use a good moisturizing face wash on your face after playing Holi. The colours can be very drying and using soap or harsh facewash can irritate the skin further.
* After deep cleansing, apply a soothing anti-oxidant cream which contains Vitamin E that works to repair and hydrate the skin to keep it soft and supple all day long.
* For a home remedy, mix yoghurt and honey with some rose water and apply it as a mask. This will calm and nourish the skin that has been damaged.
How to take care of skin and hair post Holi as festival colours are dangerous!
* Use a clarifying shampoo to rinse colour from hair. After using shampoo, apply conditioner on the lengths of hair. Leave on for a couple of minutes and rinse with cold water. Use colour protect conditioner for colour treated hair.
* After your shower, don’t forget to apply a nourishing body lotion and face moisturiser as the skin tends to become dry due to excess colour and sun exposure. Applying a good moisturizing cream after your bath will also help restore your skin’s lipid balance and soothe irritated skin.
* All that scrubbing can leave your facial skin dry and inflamed. Choose a light face oil, that works best for your skin type, on thoroughly cleansed skin to soothe and hydrate it.
* A simple home remedy to fade stubborn colour that simply won’t wash off: Make a mixture of gram flour, sweet almond oil and milk cream in rose water. Apply the paste on the areas where the colour has settled. Let the paste dry on the skin and rub it in circular gently to remove it.
Why Wayanad could be a safe seat for Rahul Gandhi
Is Marriage Really Good for You? Read here
Is Aishwarya Rai pregnant with second child?
HEALTH! Drinking orange juice daily may keep strokes at bay
Haryanvi stage dancer Sapna Choudhary denies joining politics on Congress ticket
Ops: Shahrukh-Gauri’s daughter Suhana Khan caught for first time in leak video!
Actress Aahana Kumra feels lucky to have an emotional vent
Mahindra unveils world’s ‘fastest’ electric-car Battista to be launched in 2020
Maruti Suzuki introduces new WagonR CNG model price of Rs 4.84 lakh
A TRUE HERO – All you need to know about Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman
Chitrangda Singh & Sana Khan BOLD Avatar .See video
Films more important to me than fame says Janhvi Kapoor
Lifting of Sreesanth’s ban is happy news says Family
Public Review: Badla | Amitabh- Taapsee in engaging murder mystery
WATCH VIDEO! Hrithik & Ameesha’s ‘Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai’ REUNION makes us smile
National2 days ago
Bihar NDA names candidates for 39 seats, BJP replaces Shatrughan Sinha with Ravi Shankar Prasad for Patna Sahib
World2 days ago
China chemical blast toll increases to 64
Relationship2 days ago
Dear Indian men, Here’s The Secret Why Women Never Approach You first
Feature19 hours ago
India on April 1st will launch electronic intelligence satellite Emisat
Feature2 days ago
Election Commission joins Twitter ahead of LS polls
Feature2 days ago
Mamata Banerjee’s TMC removes Congress’s name from its logo
Health2 days ago
Handful of nuts daily can boost memory in elderly
Entertainment20 hours ago
Haryanvi singer-dancer Sapna Chaudhary joins Congress to take on Hema Malini